Saturday, September 24, 2005

unfold

I'm too alone in the world, yet not alone enough
to make each hour holy.
I'm too small in the world, yet not small enough
to be simply in your presence, like a thing--
just as it is.

I want to know my own will
and to move with it.
And I want, in the hushed moments
when the nameless draws near,
to be among the wise ones--
or alone.

I want to mirror your immensity.
I want never to be too weak or too old
to bear the heavy, lurching image of you.

I want to unfold.
Let no place in me hold itself closed,
for where I am closed, I am false.
I want to stay clear in your sight.

I would describe myself
like a landscape I've studied
at length, in detail;
like a word I'm coming to understand;
like a pitcher I pour from at mealtime;
like my mother's face;
like a ship that carried me
when the waters raged.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
translated by Anita Barrows and Joanna Macy

4 Comments:

Blogger egyptiansally said...

the bly translation (i know, i know. i cant help but love his the most):
I am too alone in the world, and not alone enough to make every minute holy.
I am too tiny in this world, and not tiny enough just to lie before you like a thing,
shrewd and secretive.
I want my own will, and I want simply to be with my will, as it goes toward action,
and in the silent, sometimes hardly moving times when something is coming near,
I want to be with those who know secret things or else alone.
I want to be a mirror for your whole body, and I never want to be blind, or be too old to hold up your heavy and swaying picture.
I want to unfold.
I don't want to stay folded anywhere, because where I am folded, there I am a lie.
And I want my grasp of things true before you. I want to describe myself like a painting that I looked at closely for a long time, like a saying that I finally understood, like a pitcher I use every day, like the face of my mother, like a ship
that took me safely
through the wildest storm of all.

1:59 PM  
Blogger pamela said...

That is beautiful. I like elements of it better, but the two things I like best about the one I posted are: small vs. tiny, and "like a word I'm coming to understand" vs. "like a saying that I finally understood."

2:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Pamela
This is an amazing poem. Do you know from which book it is from?
Thanks
Octavee

7:15 AM  
Blogger Big Al said...

Beautiful poem, beautiful girl.

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home